Oktober Festivities

As October quickly approaches, so does a plethora of Oktoberfest celebrations. This weekend I attended an Oktoberfest Festival in Loudonville, OH. Oktoberfest is a celebration that originally began in Munich, Germany. It was a celebration for Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen on Oct. 12, 1810. It consisted of days of drinking, feasting and horse races. After, it became an annual event that is celebrated all over the world. Today, it is often celebrated mainly through beer, food, and in America, and football. The celebrations normally continue for 16 days from Sept. 16 until the first Sunday in October. However, it may last 17 or 18 depending when the first Sunday falls.

In Loudonville, they had tables set up with all different kinds of beers, wines, shots and souvenirs, as well as food trucks, live music and yard games set up. Since I recently turned 21, I thought it would be interesting to attend an Oktoberfest event. I was not disappointed. We went early,  since we wanted to avoid the crazy drunk people, and it was a lot of fun. Thankfully, the weather was nice and there weren't too many people or bees out. While I think Oktoberfest is a fun festival, I think in theory it could be dangerous in some cases. Specifically, in larger cities it might be chaotic. Since Loudonville is small, that wasn't an issue. Unfortunately, I did forget to take pictures. There's always next year though!

Comments

  1. I have always wanted to go to an Oktober Fest! I was hoping to be able to go this year but I have been busy most weekends working. I had some friends that went to the Oktober Fest in Findlay & it looked like they had a blast! I agree with you. I would never want to go in a big city. I like my personal space and I have a low tolerance for drunk people. I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts