An Interesting Celebration of Lights

Friday, Nov. 9, 2019 the ONU Indian Student Association held a Diwali Dinner in celebration of Diwali. Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights. It was on Oct. 27 this year. The dinner different Indian cuisines and having an overall good time. My personal experience during this dinner was interesting. My boyfriend and I went to support a friend; however, this event became way more stressful than I originally thought it would be. This is because we sat at the same table as the president of ONU, Dan DiBiasio, and his wife for the entire dinner. Now to say I was a little nervous was an understatement. I am a pretty reserved and shy person and it is difficult for me to talk to new people I meet right off the bat. I had never exactly met Dan DiBiasio before one-on-one and he's the president of the university. I don't think there's any specific reason I should be nervous around him, I'm not a trouble student or anything, but he is extremely intimidating. Simply for the fact he is the president and, well, my scholarship money and future graduation kind of rests in his hands. While I was extremely intimidated, I also know that President Dibiasio is a pretty easy-going guy from what I've heard. On the bright side, my boyfriend is a pharmacy major, which only happens to be the largest program here at ONU. They asked him more questions which I am thankful for. Overall, I think I made a good impression. They were both very lovely people to talk to and we got to share restaurant suggestions, so I can't complain. Maybe my goal will be to be remembered by Dan DiBiasio like he remembered Emily Fergus when I mentioned I'm a graphic design major. Moral of the story, if Dan Dibiasio sits down at your table during a campus event, don't be scared because it will probably be okay and you'll have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with the university president, which I feel like most students don't get an opportunity like that.

Comments

  1. What a crazy turn of events for you! I understand where you're coming from when you say you are shy right off the bat because I am that way as well. I have met Dan and his wife before at an esports event here on campus and they really are delightful people. They asked me all kinds of questions about esports and were genuinely intrigued. I'm glad you ended up having a good time at the dinner even though it started out stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I would have be so nervous! I bet you did not see that coming. I'm glad your boyfriend got more of the questions haha. I'm sure you made a good impression! I graduate in a month so I'm sure I won't have this opportunity, but I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts