ESA Acquired

I have officially been approved for an emotional support animal (ESA)! In September, I began the very long process of requesting an ESA to live with me on campus. I've always dealt with a lot of anxiety (especially since COVID began) and had recently adopted a kitten during quarantine. His name is Chai, and he is the light of my life. I originally planned to just have him live off campus with my boyfriend, well now ex-boyfriend, but I soon realized I had major separation anxiety as well as the fact that he helped me with my anxiety over the summer while on campus. So, I did what any logical person would do and asked my therapist if she would provide documentation for me to have an ESA on campus. Of course, since it is me, she declined. I have no idea as to why she truly did decline other than that I was still a new client at the time, but it didn't make much sense to me. I turned to my family doctor, who thankfully listened to me and agreed that it would be helpful to have my cat as an ESA on campus with me and happily obliged to fill out the paperwork for me. This took a month to figure out considering I had to wait for an appointment with both my therapist and doctor. It only took a couple weeks to have the paperwork turned in and approved, however. It worked out perfectly because my cat was still staying with my ex-boyfriend, thankfully he was kind enough to take care of him until my ESA paperwork went through, and today was the day of his neuter appointment. This meant my ex-boyfriend could drop him off in the morning and I could pick him up later and bring him back to my apartment. Considering all the factors weighing against me, I really think this played out as well as possible and I am so glad to have my cat back with me. Now I just have to get through the next week without any complications from his neuter.



Comments

Popular Posts